Part Five & Six of 10 Natural remedies to Suffering: How to make Lifestyle Changes
Continuing on from earlier this week as we followed our journey inward discovering more about our ten natural remedies to suffering:
- Nurture an internal environment of relaxation
- Cultivate heightened positive affect (energy in motion or emotions)
- Mindful, peace orientated eating
- A focus on balanced diet
we continue today with remedies as based in lifestyle change.
5. An increase in natural preventative anti-inflammatories rather than prescribed antidotes to pain
One of the most underestimated areas in today’s modern society is our reliance on prescriptions rather than looking towards what changes we can make to our lifestyle.
As aforementioned, mindful eating in combination with balanced nutrition can assist in regulating the inflammatory processes within our bodies. At the same time, considering a natural supplement may also assist in the remedy of depression and anxiety. Consider making more lifestyle changes by increasing through both diet and supplementation:
- Omega-3 fatty acids may promote neuronal growth, mood elevation, and slow dementia.
- Vitamin E (in the form of Gamma-Tocopherol) is an antioxidant that may decrease the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease and slow rates of cognitive decline.
- The Ayurvedic herb, turmeric, is proven to reduce inflammation
6. Return to compassion and connection
Keep coming back to compassion, and connect with others in order to make significant lifestyle change. Seeking happiness for oneself alone is doomed to fail, as self-centeredness is our very source of discontent. Train the mind with loving, altruistic feelings. Research in neuroscience also indicates that among all kinds of meditations those focussing on unconditional love (maitri) and compassion (karuna) give rise to the strongest activation of brain areas related to positive effects. Those who change their lifestyles by volunteering and practicing altruism report lower rates of depression and are even found to live longer.
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to join us in conversation, and as this is the first of five posts, we welcome you tomorrow for
- Natural light as a cleansing and healing mechanism
- Attention to posture
Remember, it is okay if these practices seem overwhelming, and certainly with ten remedies towards optimal wellbeing presented over a week, it can seem all too much. Why not consider joining Celia Roberts at a retreat? At Celia Roberts Retreat in Brookfield, Brisbane, Qld, we offer meditation and yoga retreats throughout the year enabling you to experience and to learn in the presence of a trained guide.
If you would like copies of any of the articles referenced please do not hesitate to connect firstname.lastname@example.org